Welcome back to Hang 10 with Birdie, where we catch up with friends Birdwell has made along the way, in and out of the water. In this edition we’re honored to be joined by one of the brave guards who keep our waves safe, Tim Ferry, aka Toast, the captain of the Fenwick Island Guard Team going on 13 years. Like many others up and down the coast, Tim’s been wearing our Birdies since he started guarding almost 43 years ago, and to him, pulling on a pair has become inseparable from the honor and enjoyment he feels while serving. A teacher during the off season, he’s won numerous USLA (United States Lifeguard Association) titles, competed in the World Championships in Sydney and even wooed his wife on the beach — a lifestyle we can truly get behind!
1) Where are you as you answer these questions?
- Lifeguard HQ!!
2) Favorite book?
- The Firm, John Grisham...awesome movie too.
3) What posters did you have on your walls when you were growing up?
- Farrah Fawcett - have to own that one!
4) Is there a day in your life that you’d like to live over again?
- Lots! But you live and learn...no regrets
5) The current background image on your phone?
- This really hot girl - my wife!!
6) What’s in your car trunk right now?
- My wife calls it the store!...plastic bin with surf and lifeguard gear / clothing as well as tools, cables, etc. for any type of maintenance to be done..
7) Dawn patrol or sunset session?
- Dawn...like going from the darkness to the light!
8) Longboard or short board?
- Longboard - like chilling and riding
9) Favorite Birdie style?
- 307 custom red w/ white checks - FIBP baby!
10) Best memory in Birdwells?
- 1976....made tryouts for the Bethany Beach Patrol and was handed my first pair of Birdies....this next summer will be 43 years later, and have never looked back!!