Welcome back to Hang 10 with Birdie, where we catch up with friends Birdwell has made along the way, in and out of the water. In this edition, we’re stoked to be talking story with Hawaiian bodysurfer Sean Enoka. Growing up in the water in O’ahu, Sean has built a reputation with his style and talent, tackling the heaviest waves like the hollow rights of his favorite local spot, the aptly named Point Panic. As the founder of his own apparel company and bodysurfing team, Kaha Nalu Hawaii, and shaper of Slyde’s Bulaboard handboard, Sean’s aloha is foundational in shaping the evolution of his sport. We can't wait to see what the future looks like.
1) Would you rather be able to have night vision or to paddle as fast as a jet ski?
- Night-vision so I can stay out all night surfing when it's good.
2) Which three people, living or historical, would you invite to dinner? Why?
- Duke Kahamoku - pretty sure he's at the top of any Surfer's list, and for sure he is someone I've idolized growing up on Oahu.
- Buffalo Keaulana - Another Great Hawaiian waterman and bodysurfer, and there is nothing like the experience of "talking story" in the shade at Makaha with Unko Buff about what we love to do, the past and what we are bringing back.
- Mike Stewart & Mark Cunningham - These two legendary watermen have been the winning Pipeline bodysurfing contests since the 80's and I've watched and followed their exploits since I was a grom at Sandy's, Makapuu and Waimea. I put them together because there's always a special connection and mutual respect between the two that kind of brings something out of each other, and being a student of the game I relish any opportunity to absorb any mana'o (knowledge) I can from these icons.
3) Where are you as you answer these questions?
- I've tried to sit down and answer these questions so many times and the surf won every time 😂. POUNDERS - on the east side of Oahu. Our version of a wedge side wave, but just basic mayhem all-around. Windy, Portuguese-man-o-war, chocolate barrels. 👍🏾 haha
4) If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
- OCEANSIDE, haha nah nah there is no place in the world I would rather be than Hawaii.
5) Longboard or short board?
6) Favorite wave?
- Point Panic
7) Any pre-surf rituals you MUST do?
- Too many to list haha.I'm borderline obsessive compulsive when it comes to checking my gear and putting everthing away in it's place before jumping in.
8) Coolest animal you’ve bumped into out in the water?
- big turtles, cause running into sharks is definitely not cool 😎
9) Last product you recommend?
- I'm really loving the SurfStretch Tac Shorts, and have been turning my friends on to them for going out, hiking, or just hanging out.
10) Best memory in Birdwells?
- Winning the 2011 Panics contest.