Welcome back to Hang 10 with Birdie, where we catch up with friends Birdwell has made along the way, in and out of the water. In this edition we’re spending some time in the twinkling, sun-drenched world of New Zealand native Sam Kristofski. Filmmaker, photographer and all-around aesthete, Kristofski has created campaigns for top brands like Maison Margiela and Uniqlo, but it’s his dreamy, Jodorowsky-like narrative work that we love best. Often set in California and shot on dusty 16mm film, he captures moments of seaside calm that remind us of a classic 70s tropicalia record come to life. We’re stoked to pick his magical mind.
1) What's your super power?
I can hover for about 4 seconds, sometimes 5
2) Which three people, living or historical, would you invite to dinner? Why?
Jesus, Rasputin & Paul Stamets. I think that would be a funny mix, i would probably just talk to paul the whole time but having the other two there would be pretty funny. Just seeing how they get on.
3) Where are you as you answer these questions?
Los Angeles, siting on my water bed with my indian ring neck parrot.
4) If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your days, which one would it be?
All things must pass, Harrision.
5) The current background image on your phone?
A painting of the pink terraces that were in NZ. They are now gone after a huge volcanic eruption
6) What’s in your car trunk (or van or wagon) right now?
Well i just bought a new car here in LA. So its empty right now. But my Van in NZ, basically has my whole life in it. The strangest thing in there i would say would be a whale tooth?
7) What posters did you have on your walls when you were growing up?
Tigers, heaps of them.
8) Favorite wave?
9) Coolest animal you’ve bumped into out in the water?
An Orca came right up to me in tawharanui about 4 years ago.
10) Best memory in Birdwells?
Byron Bay in the summer. They basically never leave my body.
FFor more of Sam's work go HERE.