Welcome back to Hang 10 with Birdie, where we catch up with friends Birdwell has made along the way, in and out of the water. In this edition we’re linking up with free-spirited photographer Sage Burgess out of San Juan Capistrano, California. Growing up in rural Montana, Burgess forged an attachment to surf photographing her friends riding standing river waves in Missoula, a growing scene that’s just now reaching critical mass. It wasn’t until after college that Burgess made her first trip to California where she scored an internship with Surfer Magazine editor Grant Ellis and her candid, casual shots of pros blew up. The adventure-loving lenswoman recently married her co-conspirator and favorite subject, shaper and rider Tyler Warren. Here’s hoping they make many more great pictures together.
1) Would you rather be able to have night vision or to paddle as fast as a jet ski?
2) Where are you as you answer these questions?
Filming in Mexico
3) If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
Somewhere remote, an island or in the countryside
4) Guilty pleasure?
pasta, pastries, polaroids
5) The current background image on your phone?
a picture of Montana (I grew up there)
6) Best compliment you ever received?
When someone says they love a photo
7) Your perfect pizza?
A woodfire pizza: sausage, all the veggies, pineapple and garlic.. ranch dressing on the side
8) Dawn patrol or sunset session?
Both times for great light but starting the day at the beach to shoot would be my choice
9) Last product you recommended?
Drift Essentials sunscreen
10) Best memory in Birdwells?
Giving them as a gift :)
See more from Sage on Instagram HERE: