Welcome back to Hang 10 with Birdie, where we catch up with friends Birdwell has made along the way, in and out of the water. Chances are you’ve already seen the commercial work of today’s guest, San Francisco-based photographer Ryan Tatar—it’s been showcased by concerns like Topo Designs, H&M, Banks Journal, international galleries, and surf cos too numerous to list. Originally a Michigan native, the analog outsider has been shooting coastal scenes on film since he was drawn to California by the waves years ago. Documenting the surf, the natural world, and the people who thrive there in his ongoing series Sea-Tribes, Ryan spends his days lugging suitcases of Polaroids and gear from Pacifica to Ojai, honing his subtle and magical vision.
1) Which three people, living or historical, would you invite to dinner? Why?
My wife Joanie, my son Mason, and maybe Batman so my son would be stoked….
2) Where are you as you answer these questions?
Looking at the golden gate from my subaru in San Francisco
3) What’s your favorite word, or one you use all the time?
Probably either Lurker or Critter. Two different words I use to describe some of the local denizens.
4) Best compliment you ever received?
"I love you more than Ice Cream Dad"…. from my 4 year old.
5) What’s in your car trunk (or van or wagon) right now?
hahah, my car is a mobile escape mobile. I have a full camping kit, hammock, pour over coffee set up, a few cans of food, solar, etc. I like to tell people that If something pisses me off, I can disappear nearly instantly. Haha
6) Longboard or short board (or type of outrigger)?
I like to log and when it’s a bit bigger ride mid lengths.
7) Favorite wave?
Can’t say here :)
8) The current background image on your phone?
A remote alpine lake I swam at high in the Dolomites of northern Italy
9) Favorite appliance or tool (including the specific brand and make)?
My Leica M6
10) Best memory in Birdwells?
Logging La Jolla Shores when I was first moving from beginner to kinda know more of what I’m doing stage… just scoring glassy peelers mid week in the afternoon sun and seeing all of the leopard sharks scoot away as I glided over them.
All photos by Ryan Tatar. Check our more of Ryan's work HERE.