Welcome back to Hang 10 with Birdie, where we catch up with friends Birdwell has made along the way, in and out of the water. Today we’re taking in the Los Angeles skyline with artist, musician, and one part of the Reverberations Radio hive-mind, Robbie Simon. Once the drummer/singer for sunshine rock outfit Wet Illustrated, SoCal native Simon left the touring life behind to focus on his art — he was already designing all of WI’s records and posters, and directing their videos. His warm and wavy mixture of 60s era minimalism and colorful silhouettes call to mind the work of Alexander Calder, and have graced album covers and posters for bands like The Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, and long-time collaborators The Allah Las. With solo gallery shows from Los Angeles to Norway and a few books under his own imprint, Feeling Physical, Simon's warm and welcoming disposition is positive proof that grinding 24/7 isn’t a bad thing — when your head’s in the right place.
1) Truth or dare?
- Scared of Both
2) Is there a day in your life that you’d like to live over again?
- Not yet, but I'm still very optimistic it might come !
3) What’s your favorite word, or one you use all the time?
- Ooops !
4) The current background image on your phone?
- A Ken price drawing of a big naked lady crawling dangerously on the edge of an ominous cliff. It reminds me to never let anything stand in the way of my dreams.
5) Your perfect pizza?
- NY Grandma Slice
6) Who do you trust the most?
- My Dog, Zucchini
7) Dawn patrol or sunset session?
- Dawn, Sunset sucks cuz you're just starring straight into the damn sun the whole time. Gotta wear some Oakleys'N'Croakies
8) Coolest animal you’ve bumped into out in the water?
- Matt Correia
9) Last product you recommended?
- A Roomba
- Ditching class in highschool to make it to the Birdwell factory hours to buy the cheap sample shorts.
Check out more of Robbie's work HERE, and follow him on Instagram HERE.