Welcome back to Hang 10 with Birdie, where we catch up with friends Birdwell has made along the way, in and out of the water. This time, we’re jamming with Matt Correia, LA-based surfer, photographer, and one part of our favorite soundsystem, Reverberation Radio. As a collector of rare vinyl and drummer of the Allah-Las, Matt creates and curates dusty Californian sounds that pair best with surf, sand and a surplus of sunshine. Between touring and collecting, he snaps timeless shots of co-conspirators and friends that make us wonder if he’s secretly found a permanent portal to the golden age. Resolutely Best Coast in his aesthetic and forever dedicated to the beach life, Matt spends his days surfing, creating, and forever in search of the perfect groove.
1) What's your super power?
- Breathing under water, time travel
2) Which three people, living or historical, would you invite to dinner? Why?
- Maybe Henry Miller, Nicholas Ray and my grand father I never got to meet
3) Where are you as you answer these questions?
- Los Angeles
4) If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
- Portugal, Mexico or on a boat somewhere
5) If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your days, which one would it be?
- Maybe something by Chico Hamilton
6) The current background image on your phone?
- A Joan Miró painting
7) Who do you trust the most?
- Very few
8) What’s in your car trunk right now?
- Camping gear, books
9) Longboard or short board?
- Both, either
10) Coolest animal you’ve bumped into out in the water?
- Sea otter
Photos by Matt Correia. See more HERE.