Welcome back to Hang 10 with Birdie, where we catch up with friends Birdwell has made along the way, in and out of the water. This time out we’re getting a lesson in fun from Florida-born surf instructor Jessie Carnes, co-owner of acclaimed Costa Rican surf resort Surf Simply. On the board at 11 and a competitor since 14, the self-described “surf geek” found herself in the Central American jewel at 21 on a mission to improve her game and discovered her calling as an instructor. An accomplished equestrian when she’s out of the water (another reason we envy our expat friends), Jessie gets her biggest stoke helping other riders find their groove, one wave at a time.
1) What's your super power?
A professional Surf Geek coach
2) Where are you as you answer these questions?
Waiting on friends at el chivo a cute little Mexican bar in Nosara Costa Rica
3) If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your days, which one would it be?
Spice girls spice world
4) Guilty pleasure?
Mud mask and a hair mask at the same time.
5) Best compliment you ever received?
When my dad tells me how proud he is of me.
6) Longboard or short board (or type of outrigger)?
Depends on the waves. But I normally ride my shorty. But I love a nose ride
7) Any pre-surf rituals you MUST do?
COFFEE!!!! and music
8) Favorite wave?
Any waves that my girl squad and I are on!
9) Coolest animal you’ve bumped into out in the water?
The cute seals in chicama Peru
10) Last product you recommended?
I’ve lived in Costa Rica for 8 years driving a four wheeler and recently got an Isuzu Dmax truck and it literally is life changing.