Welcome back to Hang 10 with Birdie, where we catch up with friends Birdwell has made along the way, in and out of the water. This edition we’re linking up with master watchmaker Cameron Weiss, the San Diego-born mind behind LA’s Weiss Watches, and the builder of our “Birdie” Surf Watch. A WOSTEP certified watchmaker who earned his stripes at prestigious horology shops in Switzerland and the US. Cameron spent the last decade-and-a-half on a personal mission to restore the prestige of the American watchmaking industry. From his home base in Redondo Beach, the outdoorsman also somehow finds room in his schedule to log long hours surfing, diving, and exploring the coast, building furniture, and wrenching on some drool-worthy vintage autos. Clearly, he’s a master of timing.
1) Where are you as you answer these questions?
I'm at the Weiss Watch Company workshop.
2) If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
Up in the mountains somewhere on or in a river.
3) If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your days, which one would it be?
Tom Petty, Wildflowers
4) Guilty pleasure?
Ice Cream and whiskey
5) What posters did you have on your walls when you were growing up?
- I remember two surf posters vividly - one of Andy Irons getting barreled at Teahupo'o and another of a beach in the Northeast covered in snow with one guy getting ready to paddle out.
6) Is there a day in your life that you’d like to live over again?
- Nope, the past is the past, and the next day will always be better.
7) The current background image on your phone?
My German shepherd Bennet running after a decoy
8) What’s in your car trunk (or van or wagon) right now?
A Danny Hess twin fin, NEMO Helio portable shower, almonds, camp setup to brew some coffee, board shorts, wetsuits, and extra clothes. I try to keep my Sprinter van ready for spur of the moment expeditions.
9) Coolest animal you’ve bumped into out in the water?
Bull Sharks, yes multiple bull sharks.
10) Favorite wave?
Smugglers Cove, Oregon. The forest hike into this spot completely changes your mindset and makes for a great surf no matter what.
For more on Weiss Watch Company click HERE.