Welcome back to Hang 10 with Birdie, where we catch up with friends Birdwell has made along the way, in and out of the water. In this edition, we’re stoked to be talking story with modern day Waikiki beach boy Arthur “Toots” Achinges. Originally from the Philippines, it wasn’t until Toots moved to Oahu in his early 20’s that he started surfing. It didn’t take long for his style to develop or to be noticed. A daily fixture in the lineup at Queens with a smooth yet playful style reminiscent of Phil Edwards, Toots was recently featured on the cover of The Surfers Journal, volume 27.2 (surfing in a custom pair of Birdwells!). When he’s not in the water, Toots can be found in the shaping bay, honing his craft and feeding his surf addiction one hand-shaped board at a time. If you’re in the market for a new board, we’d suggest you inquire about a custom shape. You’ll just have to wait until he ships boards to a few of us here at the factory.
1) What's your super power?
- A mere mortal- no superpower
2) Which three people, living or historical, would you invite to dinner? Why?
- Charlie Chaplin, Dalai Lama and Leonardo da Vinci. Should be a very, very, very interesting dinner!!!
3) If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
- Hawai'i - wait! I’m in Hawai’i, lucky we live Hawai’i.
4) Guilty pleasure?
- good whisky with dark chocolate to nibble on
5) What’s your favorite word, or one you use all the time?
- three words! Let’s find out!
6) Your perfect pizza?
- homemade pizza dough topped with tinapa ( Filipino smoked fish) on pesto and fresh tomato slices and squeeze of lemon.
7) Who do you trust the most?
- my Gut!
8) What’s in your car trunk right now?
- don’t have a car!
9) Longboard or short board?
- depends on da condition.
10) Best memory in Birdwells?
- summertime, dawn patrol-shape a couple of boards- rinse out the dust with a sunset surf - chill with beautiful friends with beers talking about all the waves we rode and sleep and repeat; all in one trunks! SO MUCH FUN!!!