Welcome back to Hang 10 with Birdie, where we catch up with friends Birdwell has made along the way, in and out of the water. Today we’re catching a buzz with Goodsurfwax founder Adam Harriden. After a long career in the surf and advertising industries in New York, the birth of Adam’s first son propelled him back to his homeland, Australia. Resettling in a farm in seaside Noosa on the gorgeous Gold Coast, he found himself smack-dab in the middle of bee country, and a long-dormant idea resurfaced: “Can we make a less dangerous surf wax?” A few years and hundreds of lessons later, Goodsurfwax sold their first batch of wax, free of the pollutant petrochemicals and made from only natural beeswax and coconut oil.
1) What's your super power?
- Making a surf wax that creatures in our ocean love.
2) Where are you as you answer these questions?
- Sitting in my office looking out into our forest.
3) If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
- Just up the road surfing first point with no one out and my fam on the beach.
4) Favorite book?
- Cabin Porn
5) Is there a day in your life that you’d like to live over again?
- Many. The day my children were born, and the day I married my wife. We got married at Bingin Bali. That morning I got the best barrell of my life, then married my best friend.
6) Who do you trust the most?
- My wife
7) What’s in your car trunk right now?
- A Goodwax “Soft” and “Hard” delivery for Land & Sea Brewery Noosa, my 8ft mid-length, a bed, a steel pick, pillows, and a vintage polaroid camera.
8) Dawn patrol or sunset session?
- Dawn everyday
9) Favorite appliance or tool?
- My axe. It’s what we chop our beeswax blocks up with.
10) Best memory in Birdwells?
- We did a road trip about 12 years ago down Big Sur from San Fran to Malibu, I discovered them when I visited Zuma Jays little iconic store across from the point, every colour you could imagine, I didn't think you could get boardies in so many colours, kid in a candy store moment, hooked ever since.
For more on Good Surf Wax go HERE.