As surfers, many of our best days come in places or during times of the year when a marine layer blocks the sun’s warmth and air temps dip below water temps. For us at Birdwell, every frigid surf session leads to the inevitable conversation about the gear used pre- and post-surf to stay warm.
Inspired by the wool shirts developed by the US Navy for cold-weather work duty in the 1930’s, last year we offered Birdwell’s first ever Wool CPO shirt. It sold out almost immediately. We took that as a sign you too were looking for a layer that would keep you warm on an early morning surf check and looking good at night around the bonfire. We also took it as a challenge to build an even better Wool CPO shirt for this year, from the materials and construction to the fit and style.
Hand cut and sewn at the Birdwell factory in Santa Ana, CA, this shirt is made of 100% mid-weight wool flannel supplied by Black & Sons. For 94 years, Black & Sons has been the purveyors of fine woolen fabrics. They are a 4th generation family-owned business, occupying the same building located in the heart of downtown LA’s Garment District since they opened for business in 1922. To complement the wool design and as an homage to our classic comp jacket, we added to the left arm sleeve our signature competition stripes in SurfNyl.
Like that post-session, hot-water shower, our latest Wool CPO will get your core temp toasty and make you feel like you’re ready for anything, maybe even another go-out.
- Features: Heritage SurfNyl comp stripes sewn to left sleeve. Signature Birdwell front pockets lined with contrast navy SurfNyl. Contrast SurfNyl elbow patches, inside yoke, and sleeve binding. Military buttons. Classic woven Birdie Label inside yoke and on back left hem.
- Fit: Relaxed fit with generous room at chest and arms. Made for layering. Modeled on the classic style worn by US Navy Chief Petty Officers.
- Fabric: 100% Wool flannel mid-weight.
- Construction: Durable double-needle topstitching on pockets, shoulders, yoke, and armholes. Clean flat fell side and sleeve seams for extra strength. Single-needle detail on collar, cuffs, and hem.
- Care: Dry Clean Only. Do Not Machine Wash or Dry.