A badge of honor for more than 50 years. Modernized for women.
In the 1960s, a Birdwell Competition Jacket was a highly coveted status symbol in the California surf scene. As competitive surfing gained popularity, wearing one with a matching pair of our Birdies marked a surfer as a member of a team or club — and ensured bragging rights at the local break or boardwalk. Cut from the same sail-inspired nylon and constructed with the same attention to detail as our board shorts, these light jackets are perfectly clocked to cut the wind on an early morning surf check or bring some classic surf style to a night out on the town.
The Women’s Comp Jacket improves Birdwell’s original design by relocating the signature wax pocket to the left arm, and modernizing the cut especially to flatter the female form. Just like our board shorts, every competition jacket is crafted from 2-ply SurfNyl and double stitched for unbeatable durability by expert craftspeople in Santa Ana, California. With the perfect weight for loads of versatile wear from the beach to the city, the Competition Jacket is a simple, classic way to complete any outfit.
- Features: Contrast stripes in white. Brass zipper enclosure. Signature Birdwell wax pocket with key loop and interior drain hole located on left arm. Button on cuff. Pre-washed for softness and a worn-in look.
- Fit: Birdwell jackets are designed to be slim fit. Order one size up if you prefer a looser fit.
- Fabric: Body and liner layers made of Birdwell’s proprietary 2-ply SurfNyl in federal blue for durability and comfort.
- Construction: Double-stitched with high-strength nylon thread. Hand cut and sewn in Santa Ana, CA.
- Care: Machine wash on gentle cycle. Hang dry only.