A fine, warm knit sweater inspired by Northern California’s cold water warriors. Limited-Edition.
Despite its carefree reputation, the history of surfing was written in equal part by dedicated folk whose biggest obstacle was the inhospitable temps of their local waters. Even in sunny Southern California, at least half of every surfer’s life is spent trying to get warm — or staying that way. In the 1940s and 1950s, before he invented the wetsuit, surf pioneer Jack O’Neill and his friends took to the icy breaks of San Francisco and Santa Cruz clad in thick sweaters like those worn by North Coast fishermen.
Inspired by these warm knits, our Limited-Edition Sweater is made with the same commitment to quality as our warm-weather apparel, but in 5-gauge 100% medium weight cotton yarn, dyed navy and cream. With a chunky ribbed collar, cuffs, and hem that give it a substantial look worthy of its inspirations, this soft USA-made crew neck knit sweater is built to outlast lower quality counterparts. It boasts fully fashioned construction — meaning that instead of simply being sewn together at the seams, each piece is knitted together with linked stitching that creates a handsome, refined look. Birdwell’s signature competition stripes are woven directly into the sweater’s arm, and SurfNyl elbow patches also reinforce the arms, making Birdwell’s Limited-Edition Sweater cozy and warm wherever the waves take you.
- Features: Reinforced SurfNyl elbow patches. Fully fashioned shoulder and armhole seams. Engineered Birdwell comp stripes woven directly onto left left sleeve. Classic soft-touch woven Birdie label inside yoke and on back left hem.
- Fit: Relaxed, mid-weight fit that can be comfortably worn over your favorite t shirt and with an over coat or jacket. Inset sleeves and shoulder. Sizes S - XXL.
- Fabric: 100% cotton dyed knit in 5-gauge yarn.
- Construction: 2x2 crew neck collar and self-starting cuffs and hem. Clean finished linked stitching. Made in the USA.
- Care: Hand wash cold with like colors. Flat dry.