Originally developed for cold-weather work duty by the US Navy, the CPO Shirt has been a favorite of ours since the 1960’s — and it’s only gotten better with age. Taking its cue from the original Chief Petty Officer’s shirt, our best-seller adds key details like SurfNyl elbow pads and tonal competition stripes on the arm to lend a touch of classic Birdwell style and surf-side functionality.
Now in a new, darker indigo cotton that hits the sweet spot between a light shirt jacket and your favorite denim shirt, it’s the perfect layer for a cool morning on dawn patrol, camping out, or hitting the town with some friends. And thanks to the natural indigo dye, it’ll gracefully fade and whisker like your favorite pair of jeans.
Hand cut and sewn in Santa Ana, CA from 4.6 oz 100% cotton denim. Pre-washed for softness and comfort. Relaxed fit made for layering. Offered in limited supply.
- Features: Heritage comp stripes screen printed in navy on left sleeve. Signature Birdwell front pockets. Contrast SurfNyl elbow patches, collar stand, and sleeve binding. Reverse cotton denim back yoke. Military buttons. Classic woven Birdie Label inside yoke and back left hem in low-profile indigo.
- Fit: Relaxed fit with generous room at chest and arms. Made for layering. Modeled off the classic style worn by US Navy Chief Petty Officers.
- Fabric: 4.6 oz. 100% Cotton Cross Hatch Indigo Denim. Pre-washed.
- Construction: New triple needle flat fell side and sleeve seams for extra strength. Durable double needle topstitching on pockets, shoulders, yoke, and armholes. Single needle detail on collar, cuffs, and hem. Made in Santa Ana, Ca.
- Care: Cold water wash with dark colors and line dry only.