Our iconic board shorts, precisely tailored for the modern woman in 4-way SurfStretch. Now in a playful, eye-catching print.
From Minnie Mouse to Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, all the way to former Birdwell President Vivian Mann… Is there a pattern more versatile and playful than a classic polka dot? There’s nothing itsy bitsy or teenie weenie about our new polka dot print 404 Board Shorts. Just unbeatable vintage style, class, and a durable, versatile coverage — that’ll bring a smile to the face of everyone within a 80 foot radius.
Our founder Carrie Birdwell Mann sewed the first pair of Birdies in 1961, and for almost 40 years, her daughter Vivian presided over an ever-growing global business anchored in sunny Southern California. Back then, we didn’t build board shorts expressly cut for women, but that little detail never stopped our female fans from wearing Birdwells. In honor of our heritage, and — above all — because our customers asked for it, we’re proud to carry three new contemporary styles of our iconic board shorts for women. Since we introduced the 404 Women’s Board Shorts in our light, durable SurfStretch fabric, they’ve become one of our most popular pairs. It’s no surprise: with high-mobility 4-way stretch, they’re ideal for covering up bikini bottoms during a long surf session, loosening up in a hot yoga studio, or just lounging in the summer sun. Handcrafted in Santa Ana from the same flyweight fabric as our Men’s 808 Board Shorts, the 404s feature a regular rise, curved waistband, and modern cut designed to flatter the female form. With an adjustable tab closure and signature flap pocket on the front, these are made for a life in motion.
- Features: Triple lace closure with nickel plated grommets. Birdie woven label on center back of waistband. Signature Birdwell wax pocket with key loop and interior drain hole. Nylon drawcord. Button fly with clear buttons.
- Fit: Curved waistband designed specifically for women. Outseams range between 10” – 12 depending on your waist size. 3.75” inseam. Tab closure allows for minor adjustments in fit.
- Fabric: Single layer of Birdwell SurfStretch – Woven Micro Fiber Polyester with Spandex.
- Construction: Fail safe clean finished double- and triple-stitched seams. Hand cut and sewn in Santa Ana, CA.
- Care: Machine wash cold. No Bleach. HANG DRY ONLY.