Our iconic board shorts, precisely tailored for the modern woman. Regular rise.
Strong women have always been at the center of Birdwell’s success. Our founder Carrie Birdwell Mann sewed the first pair of Birdies in 1961, and for almost 40 years, her daughter Vivian presided over an ever-growing global business anchored in sunny Southern California. Back then, we didn’t build board shorts expressly cut for women, but that little detail never stopped our female fans from wearing Birdwells. In honor of our heritage, and — above all — because our customers asked for it, we’re proud to carry three new contemporary styles of our iconic board shorts for women.
Our 402 Women’s Board Shorts are triple-stitched by hand in Santa Ana from the same trusty SurfNyl we've been using in our men's boardshorts since 1961. With a lower waist than our 403 — perfect for those active moments in the waves, on the volleyball court, or at the corner store — the refined, modern cut is tailored with a curved waistband designed to flatter the female form. Featuring an adjustable tab closure and signature flap pocket on the front, these are built for comfort and versatility.
- Features: Triple lace closure with nickel plated grommets. Birdie woven label on center back of waistband. Signature Birdwell wax pocket with key loop and interior drain hole. Nylon drawcord. Button fly with clear buttons.
- Fit: Curved waistband designed specifically for women. Outseams range between 10” – 12 depending on your waist size. 3.75” inseam. Tab closure allows for minor adjustments in fit.
- Fabric: SurfNyl exterior and lining for strength, comfort, and durability.
- Construction: Fail safe clean finished double- and triple-stitched seams. Hand cut and sewn in Santa Ana, CA.
- Care: Machine wash cold. No Bleach. HANG DRY ONLY.