A modern icon, subtly refined over half a century of surf and sun. Longer length.
The original “Birdies” were born in 1961, when surf mom Carrie Birdwell Mann sewed the first pairs for her sons in her Southern California living room. Hoping to replace the canvas shorts that were popular with surfers at the time with something safer and more functional, she found inspiration in the sails of the boats docked at nearby Newport Beach. Originally working with off-the-shelf spinnaker cloth, she soon commissioned Birdwell’s signature nylon fabric, SurfNyl, and replicated the two-layer construction and triple seams of the most durable sails, and an American icon was born.
The 312 board short is a longer version of Ms. Birdwell’s original design — lightly modernized, and improved over more than 50 years of field testing by lifeguards and surfers who depend on their Birdies to last a lifetime of waves. We’ve found that these are the ideal length for larger guys and those looking for a bit more coverage. Each pair of our 311 board shorts is hand cut from our proprietary SurfNyl and sewn by expert craftspeople in Santa Ana, California. With a simple button fly, a tab closure for an adjustable fit, and a timelessly appealing contrast stitch, these long shorts will be with you for many summers to come.
- Features: Triple lace closure with nickel plated grommets. Birdie woven label on center back of waistband. Signature Birdwell wax pocket with key loop and interior drain hole. Nylon drawcord. Button fly with clear buttons.
- Fit: Long length. Loose / baggy fit. Outseams range between 20” – 24” depending on your waist size. Tab closure allows for minor adjustments in fit.
- Fabric: SurfNyl exterior and lining for strength, comfort, and durability.
- Construction: Fail-safe clean finished double- and triple-stitched seams. Hand cut and sewn in Santa Ana, CA.
- Care: Machine wash cold. No Bleach. HANG DRY ONLY.