Our collaboration with living surf legend Paul Strauch, inventor of the Cheater Five.
It’s hard to underestimate the impression Hawaiian-born surfer Paul Strauch left on the minds of surfers young and old when the first pictures of him doing the Strauch Stretch, later known as the “Cheater Five,” appeared in magazines in the mid-1960s. Strauch learned to ride among the original Waikiki Beach boys, first mounting his father’s redwood board at the tender age of 4, and matured into a show-stopping longboard talent on some of surfing’s most legendary waves. A true emissary of aloha spirit, Strauch was one of four riders on Duke Kahanamoku’s Surf Team, and inspired the style of legends from Skip Frye to Gerry Lopez.
Our Limited-Edition 311 Paul Strauch Board Short is crafted in our Santa Ana factory in collaboration with the legendary longboarder as a celebration of his accomplishments and lasting influence on the sport. The icon chose a deep royal blue exterior to reflect his deep love and respect for our oceans, and gold and red comp stripes along the sides — the royal colors of his beloved Hawaii, his birthplace and that of his favorite sport. He also selected real wooden buttons to pay tribute to his father’s redwood board, the first one he rode at age 4.
These handsome shorts are also fitted with a special, Hawaii-only “Aloha” Birdie label and an embroidered patch bearing the words “Malama Ke Kai” (“Cherish the Sea”) with a silhouette of Strauch executing the maneuver that brought him worldwide acclaim, and cemented his place in the history of surfing.
- Features: Royal blue exterior pays tribute to our oceans, and is lined in elegant gold. Real wooden buttons that pay homage to Strauch’s first ride. Embroidered patch with Strauch Cheater Five silhouette and “Malama Ke Kai” phrase. Special Hawaii-only “Aloha” Birdie label.
- Fit: Medium length. Outseams range between 17” – 21” depending on your waist size.
- Fabric: SurfNyl exterior and lining for strength, comfort, and durability.
- Construction: Fail safe clean finished double- and triple-stitched seams. Hand cut and sewn in Santa Ana, CA.
- Care: Machine wash cold. No Bleach. HANG DRY ONLY.