Welcome back to Hang 10 with Birdie, where we catch up with friends Birdwell has made along the way, in and out of the water. Echo Park stalwart Darren Rademaker has been singing California’s songs for almost 2 decades in indie rock bands Further, The Summer Hits, and his current outfit, The Tyde. Quick with a turn of phrase and faster with a catchy riff, Rademaker’s jangly anthems compress a wide range of sunshine sounds from the Beach Boys to The Byrds into pure nuggets of pop goodness. A dedicated fan of the sport and the seaside lifestyle, Rademaker sings about surfing as often as he heads out (maybe more), and you can hear the call of the breakers and the open sand in every lick.
1) If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
2) If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your days, which one would it be?
Poem Of The River by Felt
3) Guilty pleasure?
4) Best compliment you ever received?
Robert Plant told me he liked my lyrics.
5) What’s in your car trunk (or van or wagon) right now?
Beach blanket, tons of towels all folded to virgoian perfection, old wetsuits, birdies.
6) Any pre-surf rituals you MUST do?
Dunkin Donuts in Santa Monica (opens at 5am)
7) Favorite wave?
First Point. Period. Don’t even front.
8) Coolest animal you’ve bumped into out in the water?
Hammerhead, Sarasota Florida
9) Favorite appliance or tool (including the specific brand and make)?
TV (old Sylvania not flat)
10) Best memory in Birdwells?
1998 St. Bart’s bought a green pair there, wore every day for weeks.
Check out more of Darren Rademaker HERE.